2 -2 1/2 lbs beef round steak, cut about 3/4" thick and cut into 6-8 serving
1/2 cup finely chopped sweet gherkins (Sweet pickles)
1/2 cup finely chopped onions
1/3 cup finely chopped lean bacon
Mild brown mustard (Gulden's or your favorite)
Salt and Pepper to taste
1. Wipe off meat. Pound with a mallet to about 1/4" thickness.
2. Salt and pepper, then smear on one side with a little mustard.
3. Mix together the pickles, onions and bacon and put about 2 or 3 Tbsp. of
mixture on each slice of meat.
4. Roll up like a jelly roll and tie with string or close with a skewer so that
the filling can't come out.
5. Dust meat rolls with flour.
6. Heat 2 or 3 Tbsp. of oil in a non-stick skillet with lid. Brown meat on one
side only, then cover pan tightly and turn heat to low. Do not add liquid. Cook
7. Remove meat to heated platter.
8. Make a mixture of 1/4 cup flour and 1 1/2 water and use to make gravy from
drippings in pan. Serve over rouladen.