Herbed Mushroom Pot Roast
3 tbsp. flour
1 3 to 4-pound pot roast, such as beef chuck arm or blade roast
2 tbsp. cooking oil
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
1 medium onion, sliced
1/2 cup water
1/3 cup dry sherry
1/4 cup ketchup
1/4 tsp. dried marjoram, crushed
1/4 tsp. dried rosemary, crushed
1/4 tsp. dried thyme, crushed
1 small bay leaf
1 can (6 ounces) whole mushrooms
1/4 cup cold water
2 tbsp. cornstarch
1. Sprinkle flour over both sides of the roast.
2. In a Dutch oven, heat the cooking oil. Brown the roast slowly on all asides.
Season with salt and pepper. Add the onion slices.
3. In a large bowl, stir together the 1/2 cup water, sherry, ketchup, and herbs.
Carefully add the mixture to the Dutch oven. Cover and cook over low heat for 2
to 2½ hours or until the meat is tender.
4. Add the undrained mushrooms; heat through.
5. Transfer the meat to a serving platter. Remove the bay leaf from the cooking
liquid and discard.
6. Stir together the 1/4 cup cold water and cornstarch. Add to the cooking
liquid. Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly. Cook and stir for 2 minutes
more. Serve with the meat.
Yield: 8-10 servings.