Spiced Beef and Cabbage
Spiced or corned beef can be used, it is usually bought from the butcher already
salted and with spice rubbed in.
2 lb (900g) spiced beef
1 large onion
1 large carrot
2 sticks of celery
2 bay leaves
2 tsp ground allspice or bouquet garni
half a teaspoon of dry mustard
1 large cabbage
Salt & Pepper
1. Let meat soak in water overnight.
2. Peel and slice onion and carrot and celery.
3. Place into a large pot and add meat, and all ingredients except cabbage.
4. Cover with cold water, bring to the boil, remove any traces of scum forming
on the surface.
5. Reduce heat and simmer for 60 minutes.
6. Prepare cabbage by removing outer leaves, wash under cold running water.
7. Cut cabbage into 4 and add to pot, simmer for another 30 minutes Serving
Suggestion: Serve with cabbage around meat.