Strawberry Country Cake
3/4 cup unsalted butter (1 1/2 sticks) at room temperature
2 cups sugar
4 extra-large eggs at room temperature
3/4 cup sour cream at room temperature
1/2 teaspoon grated lemon zest
1/2 teaspoon grated orange zest
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 cup cornstarch
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
For the filling for each cake:
1 cup heavy whipping cream ( 1/2 pint), chilled
3 tablespoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract 1 pint fresh strawberries, hulled and
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter and flour 2 (8-inch) cake pans.
2. Cream the butter and sugar on high speed until light and fluffy in the bowl
of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment. On medium speed, add the
eggs, 1 at a time, then the sour cream, zests and vanilla, scraping down the
bowl as needed. Mix well.
3. Sift together the flour, cornstarch, salt and baking soda. On low speed,
slowly add the flour mixture to the butter mixture and combine just until
4. Pour the batter evenly into the pans, smooth the tops with a spatula, and
bake in the center of the oven for 40 to 45 minutes, until a toothpick comes
out clean. Let cool in the pans for 30 minutes, then remove to wire racks and
let cool to room temperature.
5. To make the filling for 1 cake, whip the cream by hand or in a mixer until
firm; add the sugar and vanilla. Slice 1 of the cakes in half with a long,
sharp knife. Place the bottom slice of the cake on a serving platter, spread
with half of the whipped cream and scatter with sliced strawberries.
Cover with the top slice of the cake and spread with the remaining cream.
Decorate with strawberries. Makes 2 8-inch cakes (1 filled, the other plain,
which may be wrapped for future use), each serving 6 to 8.