Blueberry Upside Down Cake ~ Pouding aux
2 cups blueberries, washed and dried (may also use frozen
3/4 cup superfine sugar
1 teaspoon grated lemon rind
1/4 cup shortening
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1-1/4 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
2/3 cup milk
+butter for the pan
Preheat oven to 350F.
1. Butter an 8-inch square pan.
2. In a mixing bowl, toss the blueberries with 1/4-cup of the
sugar and the lemon rind. Pour the blueberries into the buttered
3. In another bowl, beat the shortening and sugar together until
4. Bea n the egg and vanilla.
5. In another bowl, stir the flour, baking powder and salt
6. Stir the flour mixture into the shortening mixture,
alternating with the milk. The batter should be smooth.
7. Spoon the batter over the blueberries and place the cake into
preheated oven. Bake for about 40 minutes.
Let the cake cool slightly. Turn it out onto the serving plate.
Serve with plain or with whipped cream or ice cream.