Cipaille or Cipāte - Layered Meat Pie
2 lbs. boneless chicken, use a combination of boneless breasts
2 lbs. lean stew beef
2 lbs. lean pork
4 onions, coarsely chopped
1/4 lb. salt pork, thinly sliced
2 cups peeled, cubed potatoes
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
1/4 teaspoon mixed spices (use a combination of cloves, nutmeg,
cinnamon and allspice)
2 cups chicken stock
pastry for a double crust 9-inch pie
1. Cut all the meats into 1-inch chunks. Place in a large bowl
along with the onions. Cover and refrigerate for at least 12
hours or overnight.
2. Using a large casserole or cast iron dutch oven, layer the
salt pork on the bottom.
Preheat oven to 400F
3. Place 1/3 of the meat cubes on top of the salt pork, then top
the meats with 1/3 of the cubed potatoes. Season with salt,
pepper and spice mixture.
4. Roll out the pastry into a circle large enough to cover the
above layers. Place the pastry round on top of the potatoes and
cut a small round hole in the center.
5. Repeat with 2 more layers of meat, potatoes and seasonings.
6. Cover with the remaining pastry, cutting a small hole in the
7. Carefully and slowly pour the chicken stock into the hole.
Place a cover on the dish.
8. Place in the oven for 45 minutes or until the liquid is
9. Reduce heat to 250F and bake, covered, for 5 to 6 hours.
Makes 8-10 servings