Pear Cakes - Financier Tiède aux Poires,
Crème au Café
3 small, ripe pears, peeled
4 cups water
1-3/4 cups sugar
2/3 cup butter
3 egg whites
1/2 cup ground almonds
2/3 cup flour
1 Tablespoon confectioner's sugar
3/4 cup whipping cream
1 Tablespoon strong coffee
1. Place the cream, bowl and beaters in the refrigerator.
2. Put a scant cup of the sugar and the water into a saucepan
and bring to a boil.
3. Drop the peeled pears into the boiling syrup, reduce heat and
simmer for 15 minutes. Leave the pears in the syrup to cool.
4. Preheat the oven to 400°F. Butter individual non-stick,
4-inch baking pans with 1/2 tablespoon of butter, then melt the
rest of the butter.
5. In a mixing bowl, lightly whip the egg whites, add 3/4 cup of
the sugar, ground almonds and flour. Whisk in the melted butter.
Pour the batter into the baking pans.
6. Drain the pears and cut them into 8 wedges. Arrange 6 slices
in a flower pattern on top of each financier.
7. Place on a baking sheet and bake for 10 minutes. After 10
minutes, sprinkle them with the confectioner's sugar and bake
for an additional 2 minutes or until golden.
8. Whip the cream, adding 2 teaspoons of sugar and the coffee
about halfway through.
The cakes should be served warm from the oven. Unmold the
financiers and place them in the center of a dessert plate, pear
side up. Place a dollop of cream on top of each cake.