Pouding du Chômeur - Vanilla Cake with
2 teaspoons shortening
3/4 cup superfine sugar
1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/3 cup milk
1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla
FOR THE SAUCE:
2 cups brown sugar
1 cup water
2 teaspoons unsalted butter
1/2 cup nuts (optional)
Preheat oven to 350F.
1. Cream the shortening and sugar in a medium
2. Add the egg and mix well. In another bowl, mix the flour,
salt and baking powder.
3. Add the flour alternating with the milk to the sugar mixture.
4. Stir in the vanilla.
For the sauce:
5. In a sauce, add the brown sugar, water, butter (and nuts, if
using) and boil for 8 minutes.
6. Pour the batter into a loaf pan and pour the hot sauce on top
of the batter. 7. Bake in the oven for about 35-40 minutes. A
toothpick should come out clean when inserted into the middle of
Cool slightly and serve with ice cream.