Old-Fashioned Chicken Pot Pie with Chive Mashed Potato Crust
4 tablespoons butter
1/4 cup finely chopped onion
5 tablespoons flour
3 cups chicken broth
1 cup carrots cut into 1/2-inch dice
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 teaspoon chopped fresh sage, or 1/2 teaspoon dried
1 cup milk
1 cup fresh, or frozen, defrosted corn kernels
1 cup fresh or frozen and defrosted petite peas
2 cups cooked chicken
1 recipe Chive Mashed Potatoes
1. In a 4-quart saucepan, melt the butter and saute the onion for 2 minutes,
until it begins to soften. Add the flour, and whisk until it bubbles. Gradually
whisk in the broth, stirring until the sauce is thick and smooth, about 3-5
minutes. Add the carrots, salt, pepper, and sage, simmering for another 3
minutes. Pour the filling into a 3-quart casserole. Refrigerate until read to
2. Make the crust.
3. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Bake the pot pie for 30 to 40 minutes,
until the potatoes are golden brown.
Chive Mashed Potatoes
Wonderful as a crust for Old-Fashioned Chicken Pot Pie or as a delicious side
dish for poultry, fish, or meatloaf.
2 1/2 pounds russet potatoes, peeled and cut in 1-inch cubes
5 tablespoons butter
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
1/4 cup heavy cream
1. Place the potatoes in a 4-quart saucepan with water to cover. Boil the
potatoes for 15 to 20 minutes, until they are tender when pierced with a knife.
2. Drain the potatoes and return them to the hot pan. Shake the pan over medium
heat to dry the potatoes.
3. Add 4 tablespoons of the butter, the salt, pepper, and chives, mashing the
potatoes to the desired degree of smoothness. Blend in the cream, and stir to
If using for pot pie: Spread the potatoes over the chicken filling and dot with
the remaining 1 tablespoon of butter.