1/2 cup walnuts
2 tablespoons margarine or butter (1/4 stick), melted
4 large eggs, separated
1 16-ounce can solid-pack pumpkin (not pumpkin-pie mix)
2 8-ounce packages cream cheese, softened
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
1 cup prepared eggnog
1 tablespoon cornstarch
walnuts for garnish
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray 9" by 3" springform pan with nonstick
2. In food processor with knife blade attached, blend gingersnaps, walnuts, and
1/4 cup sugar until finely ground; stir in margarine or butter. Press mixture
onto bottom and 2 1/2 inches up side of springform pan; set aside.
3. In small bowl, with mixer at high speed, beat egg whites until foamy.
Gradually beat in 3/4 cup sugar until soft peaks form; set aside.
4. In large bowl, with same beaters and with mixer at medium speed, beat egg
yolks, pumpkin, cream cheese, cinnamon, allspice, ginger, cloves, and 1/2
teaspoon nutmeg until well blended. Fold egg-white mixture into cream-cheese
mixture; pour into springform pan. Bake 1 hour or until knife inserted 1 inch
from edge of cheesecake comes out clean. Cool cheesecake in pan on wire rack.
5. In small saucepan, mix eggnog, cornstarch, and 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg. Over
medium heat, heat to boiling. Reduce heat to low; simmer 1 minute or until
mixture thickens. Let stand 10 minutes to cool slightly. Remove side of
springform pan from cheesecake; spread eggnog mixture over cheesecake. Garnish
with walnuts. Refrigerate cheesecake at least 4 hours or until well chilled.