Chocolate Cherry Mini Cakes
1 1/3 cups flour
1 cup oats
1/2 cup sugar
1/3 cup mini chocolate chips
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup lf buttermilk
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 egg -- lightly beaten
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
8 ounces cherry preserves or fruit spread
1. Heat oven to 400F. Spray 12 med muffing cups or heart-shaped muffin cups with
2. In large bowl, combine flour, oats, sugar, chips, cocoa, baking powder, soda,
and salt. Mix well.
3. In small bowl, combine buttermilk, oil, egg, and vanilla. Blend well. Add to
dry ingredients all at once and stir just until dry ingredients are moistened
(do not overmix).
4. Fill muffin cups half full. Spoon 1 tsp cherry preserves in centre of each
and top with remaining batter. Bake 16-19 mins or until tops spring back when
lightly touched. Do not overbake.
5. Cool in pan on rack for 5 mins. remove from pan.
6. Meanwhile, heat remaining cherry preserves in saucepan and spoon, warm, over
cakes and serve with a scoop of ice cream of frozen yogurt, if desired.