Chocolate Mint Divinity
• 2 7-ounce bars milk chocolate
• 2-1/2 cups sugar
• 1/2 cup light-colored corn syrup
• 1/2 cup water
• 2 egg whites
• 2 squares (2 ounces) unsweetened chocolate, melted and cooled
• 1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract
• 1/4 cup crushed peppermint candies
1. Line a 9x9x2-inch baking pan with foil, extending foil over edges
of pan. Butter foil; line with chocolate bars. Set pan aside.
2. In a heavy 2-quart saucepan combine sugar, corn syrup, and water.
Cook over medium-high heat to boiling, stirring constantly with a
wooden spoon to dissolve sugar. This should take 5 to 7 minutes.
Avoid splashing mixture on sides of pan. Carefully clip candy
thermometer to pan. Cook over medium heat, without stirring, to 260
degree F, hard-ball stage. Mixture should boil at moderate, steady
rate over entire surface. Reaching hard-ball stage should take about
3. Remove pan from heat; remove thermometer. In a large mixer bowl,
immediately beat egg whites with a sturdy, freestanding electric
mixer until stiff peaks form (tips stand straight).
4. Gradually pour hot mixture in a thin stream (slightly less than
1/8inch diameter) over egg whites, beating on high speed and
scraping bowl occasionally. This should take about 3 minutes. (Add
mixture slowly to ensure proper blending.) Add unsweetened chocolate
and peppermint extract. Continue beating on high speed, scraping
bowl occasionally, just until candy starts to lose its gloss. When
beaters are lifted, mixture should fall in a ribbon, but mound on
itself and not disappear into remaining mixture. Final beating
should take 5 to 6 minutes.
5. Immediately spread over chocolate bars in prepared pan. Sprinkle
with crushed candies. When firm, lift out of pan; cut into 1-inch
squares. Store tightly covered. Makes 81 pieces.
Make-Ahead Tip: Up to 3 days ahead prepare divinity. Store at room
temperature in a tightly covered container.