Apple Coffee Cake With Brown Sugar Sauce
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups packed brown sugar
3/4 cup butter, softened
1 cup chopped walnuts, toasted
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup sour cream
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Butter a 9 inch round cake pan
or 9 1/2 inch springform pan.
2. Peel, core and chop apples. They should not measure more than 2 cups. Set
3. Using a fork, work flour with brown sugar and butter in a large bowl until
crumbly. Stir in nuts. Divide mixture in half. Evenly press half into pan bottom
to form a crust.
4. Stir baking soda, cinnamon, and salt into remaining crumb mixture until
blended, then make a well in the center. In a small bowl, lightly beat egg with
sour cream and vanilla until smooth. Add to flour mixture, stirring just until
combined. Fold in apples.
5. Evenly spread batter over crumb mixture. Bake until a cake tester inserted
into center comes out fairly clean, about 1 hour and 20 minutes. If top gets too
brown before cake is baked, lightly lay a piece of foil over top for last 10 to
20 minutes of baking. Cool in pan on a rack. Serve with Brown Sugar Sauce. Cake
keeps well at room temperature for a day. Covered, it freezes well and is easily
cut while still frozen.
Brown Sugar Sauce
1/4 cup butter
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2/3 cup packed brown sugar
1 cup cold milk
1/4 cup brandy
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. Melt butter in a small saucepan set over medium heat. In a medium-size bowl,
stir flour with sugar. Then whisk into melted butter until mixture is moistened.
Stir in milk until smooth. Cook, whisking frequently, until thickened and
smooth, about 5 minutes. Stir in brandy and vanilla. Remove from heat.
2. Serve right away over Apple Coffee Cake with Brown Sugar Sauce. Or cover and
refrigerate for a week or more. Reheat just before serving.