Bonnie Stern's Potato Latkes
Your Source for Jewish Recipes Online!
Bonnie Stern's Potato Latkes - pareve
1 small onion, chopped or finely grated
3 large BAKING potatoes, peeled
1 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. freshly ground pepper
3 tbsp. matzo meal or corn flake crumbs
Oil for frying (I always use vegetable oil)
1) Combine the eggs with the onion.
2) Grate the potatoes into the egg mixture and stir well to prevent
discoloration. (If you are doing this in a food processor simply
chop the onion with the steel knife, blend in the eggs and add the
potato chunks. Process until the potatoes are finely chopped.)
3) Add the salt, pepper and matzo meal.
4) Heat enough oil in a large skillet to measure 1/2 inch deep. Add
the batter to the oil by the spoonful and flatten each pancake with
the back of the spoon. cook until crisp, then turn and cook the
5) Drain the pancakes on paper towels as they are ready. (When you
cook each batch, add more oil if necessary, but add the oil between
batches, and not while the pancakes are cooking.)
This is from the cookbook 'Cooking with Bonnie Stern'.
Don't forget to visit our other Recipe site at
That's My Home
Razzle Dazzle Recipes
Copyright © 2002 - 2005