1 lb. chopped mixed nuts
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1 (16-oz.) package phyllo dough
1 cup butter, melted
1 cup white sugar
1 cup water
1/2 cup honey
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 tsp. grated lemon zest
1. Preheat oven to 350º F. Butter a 9x13-in. baking dish.
2. Toss together cinnamon and nuts. Unroll phyllo and cut whole stack in half to
fit the dish. Cover phyllo with a damp cloth while assembling the baklava, to
keep it from drying out.
3. Place two sheets of phyllo in the bottom of the prepared dish. Brush
generously with butter. Sprinkle 2 to 3 tbsp. of the nut mixture on top. Repeat
layers until all ingredients are used, ending with about 6 sheets of phyllo.
Using a sharp knife, cut baklava (all the way through to the bottom of the dish)
into four long rows, then (nine times) diagonally to make 36 diamond shapes.
4. Bake in preheated oven 50 minutes, until golden and crisp.
5. While baklava is baking, combine sugar and water in a small saucepan over
medium heat and bring to a boil. Stir in honey, vanilla and lemon zest, reduce
heat and simmer 20 minutes.
6. Remove the baklava from the oven and immediately spoon the syrup over it. Let
cool completely before serving. Store uncovered.
This is simple and easy. Serve it in cupcake papers. It freezes well, too.