2 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
8 tablespoons (1 stick) butter
5-6 medium peaches (preferably freestone), peeled and halved
1/2-3/4 cup sugar
1 cup heavy cream, sour cream or yogurt
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
2. In a mixing bowl, stir together the flour, the 1/4 cup of sugar, and salt.
3. Cut in the butter, using the tips of your fingers, until the mixture
resembles coarse meal.
4. Press the mixture evenly into the bottom and up the sides of a deep 9- or
10-inch pie plate. Make the top edge neat by pressing the side up with the side
of your left index finger into the side of your right index finger (or vice
5. Arrange the peaches over the crust and sprinkle with the remaining 3/4 cup of
sugar. Sprinkle lightly with cinnamon, too, if desired.
6. Bake for 15 minutes.
7. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, with a fork or whisk, beat together the cream and
eggs until well blended.
8. After 15 minutes, remove the crostata from oven, pour over the egg and cream
mixture, then return to the oven for another 30 minutes.
9. Serve warm (not hot) or at room temperature. (The crostata is at its best if
Variation: Nectarines are a natural substitute for peaches.
Advance Preparation: May be baked several hours ahead. Can be kept at room
temperature for up to 24 hours.