Hot Jalapeno Crab Dip
1 lb. lump crabmeat, picked over for shells and cartilage
1 tsp. chopped garlic
1/2 cup chopped pickled jalapenos
1/4 lb. Monterey Jack cheese with jalapenos, grated
1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp. hot sauce
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 cup mayonnaise (homemade or store bought)
2 oz. Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, grated
1 recipe Toasted Croutons
1 loaf French bread (about eight inches in diameter and 15 inches long, ends
trimmed and cut crosswise into 1/4-inch thick slices
5 tbsp. olive oil
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
1 large egg
1 tbsp. Creole or whole-grain mustard
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tbsp. fresh lemon juice
1 cup vegetable oil
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. Arrange the bread slices on the baking sheet and brush them with half of the
olive oil, then sprinkle them with 1/8 tsp. of the salt and 1/8 tsp. of the
black pepper. Turn the slices over, brush with the remaining oil, and sprinkle
with the remaining 1/8 tsp. each salt and pepper.
3. Bake for about six minutes, then turn the baking sheet around in the oven to
ensure even browning. Bake until the croutons are lightly browned, about six
minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool completely before serving.
4. Combine the egg, mustard, salt, and lemon juice in a food processor or
blender and process until smooth, about 15 seconds. With the motor running, pour
the vegetable oil through the feed tube in a slow, steady stream. Cover and
chill for one hour in the refrigerator before serving. Best if used within 24
Jalapeno Crab Dip:
5. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
6. Combine the crabmeat, garlic, jalapenos, Monterey Jack, Worcestershire, hot
sauce, salt, and mayonnaise in a medium-size mixing bowl. Toss gently to mix.
Spoon the mixture into a medium-size shallow baking dish. Sprinkle the cheese
evenly on the top of the crabmeat mixture.
7. Bake until golden brown and bubbly, about 25 minutes. Remove from the oven
and let sit for about five minutes before serving with the croutons.
Makes 8 Appetizer Servings
AUTHOR: Lori A