Easter Bread Recipes
from Razzle Dazzle Recipes
"Your Source for Easter Recipes Online"
Traditional Russian Easter bread, with the word 'PAX' inscribed
across the top.
4 cups plain flour
1 tbsp dried yeast
1 cup milk
1/2 cup sugar
1 stick butter
1/2 cup raisins
1/2 cup dried fruit
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp ground cardamom
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground saffron
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
icing and glace cherries
1. Warm the milk to blood heat (body temperature). Sprinkle on the
yeast and one teaspoonful of sugar. Add half of the flour, mix well
and allow to go frothy.
2. Cream the butter and sugar, then beat in the
eggs one at a time. Add the yeast mixture and all the other
3. Knead well until the dough is smooth and elastic. Cover and allow
to rise until doubled in size.
4. Traditionally this bread is baked in tall cans (you can use well
greased old soup, bean or coffee cans), or mould the dough to form
the letters of the word 'PAX' meaning peace.
5. Bake in oven at 375 degrees for 20-30 minutes or until golden
6. Cool on cooling tray and then decorate with icing and glace
Recipe Source: Feasting for Festivals by Jan Wilson
Razzle Dazzle Recipes