1/2 tablespoon active dry yeast
1/4 cup warm water (105-115 degrees)
1 1/2- 2 cups flour
1/4 cup warm milk (105-115 degrees)
1 cup sourdough starter (see link)
2 tablespoons sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/3 cup chopped red and green candied cherries
1/4 cup golden raisins
1. Dissolve yeast in warm water. Set aside for 5 minutes. Combine 1
cup flour, milk, sourdough starter, sugar, salt, butter, vanilla,
and yeast mixture in mixing bowl.
2. Add cherries, raisins, and enough remaining flour to make a soft
dough. Knead on lightly floured surface until smooth — about 10
3. Place in greased bowl, turning to coat top. Cover; let rise in
warm place until double — about 1 hour.
3. Punch down dough. Divide into 12 equal pieces. Shape into balls.
Place on greased baking sheet.
5. Cover; let rise in warm place until double — about 30 minutes.
Bake in a preheated oven (400°) for 15-20 minutes or until done.
6. Cool on wire rack. Make crosses on top of buns with
Recipe Source: Festive Bread Book