Gnocchi Alla Romana
4 1/4 cups of flour
1.5 pound of ricotta cheese
1/2 cup freshly grated parmigiano cheese plus extra for sprinkling
pinch of salt & pepper
1 teaspoon of olive oil
4 cups marinara sauce
1. Using 4 cups of the flour on a wooden board make a mound with a well in the
2. Add eggs, ricotta, 1/2 cup of parmagiano and salt & pepper in well and knead
to form a dough.
3. Knead lightly for 2 to 3 more minutes, gradually adding remaining flour if
the dough sticks to the board or your hands.
4. When the dough is soft and dry to the touch divide it into pieces the size of
5. Using both hands, roll out each piece of dough into a roll about the size of
your index finger.
6. Cut each roll into 1/2 inch pieces.
7. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
8. Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add a teaspoon of olive oil oil and the
9. Cook, uncovered over high heat until the gnocchi rises to the surface of the
water, about 1 to 2 minutes. While the gnocchi are cooking heat the marinara in
a large saute pan over medium heat.
10. Remove the gnocchi from the water with a slotted spoon and transfer to the
11. Saute gnocchi in sauce until coated, then transfer to a casserole dish
sprinkle with parmigianno cheese to taste and bake in oven for 10 minutes.