Traditional Italian Sauce
1/2 cup pIus 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 medium onion, peeled and halved
1/4 pound piece spiced pancetta
10 cloves garlic (5 pressed, 2 finely chopped, 3 cracked)
Course salt and freshly ground
3 thirty-five-ounce cans plum tomatoes, pureed in a blender
1 twenty-eight-ounce can tomato purée
6 large fresh basil leaves
2 medium lean beef cutlets (about 9 ounces each)
1 tablespoon fresh fiat-leaf parsley, finely chopped
2 teaspoons freshly grated Pecorino Romano cheese, plus
more for garnish
4 to 5 links sweet pork sausage with fennel (about 3/4 pound)
4 pork spare ribs (about 3/4 pound)
1/2 cup white wine
Meatballs (recipe follows)
1 pound pasta, such as ziti, penne, or pennoni
1. In a large saucepan, heat 1/4 cup oil over medium heat. Add onion, pancetta,
pressed garlic, and salt; saute 2 minutes. Stir in pureed tomatoes, tomato
purée, and basil. Bring to a simmer, and cook for 45 minutes. Remove and discard
2. Place beef cutlets on work surface. Sprinkle each piece with 2 teaspoons
olive oil, I clove finely chopped garlic, 1 teaspoon parsley, and 1 teaspoon
cheese. Season with salt and pepper. Roll beef, and tie with kitchen twine.
3. Heat remaining 1/4 cup oil in a large cast-iron skillet over medium heat. Add
cracked garlic, and cook for 2 minutes. Place rolled beef, sausage, and spare
ribs in skillet and cook until golden brown, 8 to 10 minutes. Add wine, and cook
for 2 minutes. Remove browned meat from pan, and add to sauce along with
4. Add 2 cups water, and return to a simmer. Cook, stirring frequently, over
medium heat for 1 hour and 15 minutes.
5. Just before sauce is finished bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.
Add pasta, and cook until al dente, following package instructions. Drain, and
transfer to a large serving platter. Stir sauce to combine, and ladle sauce over
pasta. Serve meats on a separate platter. Sprinkle cheese over pasta and meats.
1 1/2 pounds ground top sirloin
3/4 pound ground pork
3/4 pound ground veal
2 cloves garlic, pressed
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/2 cup freshly grated Pecorino Romano cheese
2 tablespoons finely chopped fiat-leaf parsley
3 large eggs, lightly beaten
1 slice Italian bread, soaked in water
3/4 cup unseasoned dry bread crumbs
1/2 cup light olive oil
1. Line a baking sheet with paper towels; set aside.
2. In a large bowl, combine top sirloin, pork, veal, extra-virgin olive oil,
garlic, salt, and pepper. Add cheese, parsley, and eggs. Squeeze water from
bread. Tear Into small pieces, and add to meat mixture. Add 3/4 cup bread
crumbs; stir to combine.
3. With damp hands, form 1/4 cup mixture into a ball. Repeat with remaining
4. Heat light olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. When
oil is very hot, add meatballs in one layer.Cook until golden brown all over,
about 2 minutes per side.Transfer to prepared baking sheet to drain.