Apples and Spice Bake Toast Recipe
Recipes for Everyday Cooking
Apples and Spice Bake Toast
1 large loaf French or Italian bread
8 large eggs
3 1/2 cups milk or light cream
1 cup sugar
1 tablspoon vanilla
3 teaspoons cinnamon
1 teaspoon nutmeg
6-8 medium-sized cooking apples. ((Cortland,. Maclntosh, or Granny Smith)
1/4 of a stick butter
1. Slice bread into 1 1/2 inch slices.
2. Spray- 9” X 13” inch glass pan with corn oil or nonstick spray.
3. Place bread. in glass dish, placing tightly together.
4. In separate bowl, beat together eggs, 1/2 cup sugar, milk, and vanilla (by
hand, with -whisk, for about 30 seconds). Pour one-half of egg-milk mixture
5. Peel, core and slice apples. Place sliced apples on top of bread to cover.
6. Pour balance of egg-milk mixture evenly over apples-
7. Mix remaining ½ cup sugar with cinnamon and nutmeg and sprinkle evenly over
top of apples.
8. Dot with butter. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
9. Next day, preheat oven to 350 degrees.
10. Uncover dish and bake in oven 1 hour- It will rise high and brown nicely.
11. Remove from oven and allow to rest for 5 to 10 minutes before serving.
12. Cut into squares and serve warm with maple syrup.
13. Top with whipped cream and garnish with a sprig of fresh mint.
Back to French Toast Recipes