Overnight Oven French Toast
1 loaf French bread
5 large eggs or 1 1/4 cups Egg Beaters
3/4 cup fat-free half-and-half
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1 (20-ounce) bag frozen whole strawberries, partially thawed
4 ripe bananas, sliced
3/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon sugar, divided
1 tablespoon apple pie spice
Pinch of ground cinnamon
1. The night before cooking, cut the bread into 1-inch slices and arrange in a
9-by-13-inch nonstick baking pan.
2. In a bowl, beat the eggs, half-and-half, vanilla and baking powder until
blended. Pour over bread. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
3. The next morning, heat oven to 450 degrees. Remove bread to a plate. In the
same pan, mix the strawberries (thawed enough to separate), bananas, 3/4 cup
sugar and the apple pie spice. Top with bread. Sprinkle with the remaining
tablespoon of sugar and the cinnamon.
4. Bake until toast is lightly browned, about 20 minutes.
5. Serve hot, topped with the fruit sauce.
Note: If desired, 2 teaspoons cinnamon, 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg, and a dash of salt
may be substituted for the apple pie spice.
Makes 8 servings