Curried Chicken Satay With Fresh Mint-Soy
Makes 24 skewers, 8 to 12 servings
For the chicken satay:
2 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
1 1/2 teaspoons curry powder
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
2 tablespoons peanut oil or vegetable oil
For the mint-soy vinaigrette:
2 large egg yolks, beaten
1/4 cup rice wine vinegar
2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh mint
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
1/2 cup regular or roasted peanut oil
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
• Soak two dozen 6-inch bamboo or wooden skewers in water for 30 to
60 minutes. With a sharp knife, cut each chicken breast lengthwise
into twelve long, thin strips.
• Thread 1 strip onto each of the skewers, weaving the skewer back
and forth along the length of each chicken strip. Arrange them on a
large platter or baking tray.
• To prepare the marinade, in a small bowl combine the curry powder,
pepper, salt, and cumin.
• Spoon the oil over the chicken strips, turning to coat them
evenly, and then evenly sprinkle the dry ingredients over them on
• Cover the platter or tray with plastic wrap and marinate in the
refrigerator for 1 hour or longer.
• To prepare the Mint-Soy Vinaigrette: In a food processor fitted
with the steel blade or a blender, combine the egg yolks, vinegar,
mint, soy sauce, and coriander.
• With the motor running, slowly drizzle in the oil and continue
processing until smooth.
• Transfer the dressing to a bowl, season to taste with salt and
pepper, cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate.
• Preheat a hinged indoor grill or panini maker, following the
manufacturer's instructions, or preheat a broiler, outdoor grill, or
stovetop grill pan.
• Grill the skewers, in batches if necessary, until cooked through
and nicely browned, about 2 minutes total on a hinged grill or
panini maker, or 2 minutes per side in the broiler, in a grill pan,
or on an outdoor grill.
• If using an indoor grill, take care that the skewers don't prevent
the grill or panini maker from closing properly.
• Serve the skewers immediately, passing the vinaigrette for guests
to drizzle over their own skewers or to use as a dip.
Wolfgang Puck Makes It Easy
Nutritional information per serving: 144 cal., 13 g fat (2 g sat.),
50 mg chol., 1 g carb., 230 mg sodium, 0 g fiber, 6 g pro.