1/2 pound thick-cut bacon, diced
2 cups chopped onion
2 teaspoons curry powder, preferably Madras
2 tablespoons flour
1 pound pumpkin (eating or sugar type) peeled, seeded, and cut into
2 large potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks
4 cups chicken stock
1 cup half and half cream
Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
Garnish: toasted pumpkin seeds
Garnish: chopped green onion
1. Put the bacon in a large soup pot over low heat and cook gently
until it releases its fat, about 5 minutes.
2. Add the onions and cook, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes.
3. Stir in curry powder and flour and cook, stirring for 5 minutes.
4. Add the pumpkin, potatoes, and stock. Increase the heat to
medium-low and cook until the pumpkin and potatoes are tender, 10 to
5. Add the half-and-half and season with salt and pepper to taste.
Simmer for 5 minutes, or until heated through. Do not allow to boil.
Serve the soup in warm bowls, garnished with pumpkin seeds and a
sprinkle of green onions. Serves 6.
Substitution tip: Use low-sodium broth in place of the chicken