Roast Chicken with Vampire Proof Garlic
3 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons lemon juice
2 teaspoons dried thyme
1 teaspoon fresh rosemary leaves or crumbled dried rosemary
1 teaspoon chopped fresh sage leaves or dried rubbed sage
About 1/2 teaspoon pepper
2 chickens (about 4 lb. each)
8 heads garlic (each 2 in. wide)
Rosemary sprigs, rinsed
1. In a small bowl, mix 2 tablespoons olive oil, lemon juice, thyme,
rosemary leaves, sage, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper.
2. Rinse chickens and pat dry. Pull off and discard lumps of fat.
Rub olive oil mixture all over chickens and set birds breast up and
at least 1 inch apart on a rack in a 12- by 17-inch roasting pan.
Rub remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil all over garlic. Place garlic
heads on rack beside chickens.
3. Roast in a 425° oven until garlic is soft when pressed, about 1
hour, and chickens are well browned and meat is no longer pink at
thigh bone (cut to test), 1 to 11/4 hours; if garlic is done before
chickens, transfer garlic to a dish and keep warm. Tip juices out of
body cavities into roasting pan.
4. Put chickens on a large platter, surround with garlic heads, and
garnish with rosemary sprigs. Keeping chickens warm, let rest 5 to
5. Carve chickens. Separate garlic cloves and squeeze garlic from
peels to eat with chicken. Add salt and pepper to taste.