4 tablespoons butter
1/2 pound fresh shrimp, boiled, shelled and chopped
1/2 pound lump crabmeat
6 lasagna noodles
1 medium onion, finely chopped
1/2 pound fresh mushrooms, thinly sliced
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
3 large eggs, beaten
2 cups half-and-half
1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
3/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese.
1. Preheat oven to 350. Butter a shallow 2-quart casserole with 1 tablespoon
2. Combine shrimp and crab in a large mixing bowl, and toss well.
3. Heat a large pot of salted water to boiling and cook the noodles according to
the package directions, until just tender. Drain and set aside.
4. Melt remaining 3 tablespoons butter in a large skillet, add onion and
mushrooms and cook, stirring until softened, about 5 minutes. Add onion mixture
and lemon juice to the seafood. Season with salt and pepper and toss again.
5. Combine eggs, half-and-half, and Parmesan in another large bowl and stir
until well blended. Add about two-thirds of the egg mixture to the seafood
mixture and stir again to mix well.
6. Spread about a third of the seafood mixture over the bottom of the prepared
casserole. Cover with 2 of the noodles, then spread another third of the mixture
over the noodles, cover with 2 more noodles, and spread the remaining mixture
over the top. Cover with the last 2 noodles, pour the remaining egg mixture over
the noodles and sprinkle the mozzarella evenly over the top. Bake on the center
oven rack until bubbly and golden, about 35 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes before
Yield: 6 servings.
Note: Any poached and flaked white fish, or a mix of salmon and white fish, may
be substituted for the shrimp and crabmeat.
''Crazy for Casseroles,'' by James Villas