Tacos de Camarones
1 1/2 pounds small uncooked shrimp, shelled
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 teaspoon cumin seeds
1 teaspoon dried oregano
Salt and pepper, to taste
Vegetable oil (for sprinkling)
16 5-inch corn tortillas
2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
3 tablespoons chopped onion
1 lime, cut into wedges (for garnish)
1 jar (16 ounces) salsa or salsa verde
1. In a bowl, combine the shrimp, oil, cumin seeds, oregano, salt, and pepper.
Cover and refrigerate, tossing occasionally, for 2 hours.
2. About 10 minutes before serving, sprinkle enough oil in a large skillet to
make a thin film in the pan. When it is hot, saute the shrimp over high heat for
2 minutes, stirring constantly, or until they are bright pink. Alternatively,
spear the shrimp on bamboo skewers and grill them over a hot charcoal grill,
turning constantly, until they are cooked through.
3. Meanwhile, heat a large griddle and cook the tortillas for 10 seconds on each
side. Transfer them as they are done to a covered dish.
4. Toss the cooked shrimp with cilantro and onion.
5. Serve with wedges of lime and salsa or salsa verde.
Adapted from Tacos el Charro restaurant