Honey Barbecued Pork
Active Work Time: 15 minutes * Total Preparation Time: 1 hour 15 minutes plus 2
This is a simple recipe, although you must allow at least 2 hours for
marinating. Marinate the pork in the refrigerator the night before, then just
pop it in the oven for a quick dinner. Create a Chinatown rice bowl treat by
slicing the pork and serving it over piping hot rice, drizzled with soy sauce.
3 pounds boneless pork butt or shoulder
1/4 cup ketchup
2 teaspoons salt
4 teaspoons sugar
1 tablespoon minced garlic
4 teaspoons brandy
1 teaspoon five-spice powder
1/2 cup honey
* Trim all the fat off the pork and cut the pork into 1-inch-thick slices.
* Combine the ketchup, salt, sugar, garlic, brandy, five-spice powder and
honey in a small bowl. Rub this mixture on the pork pieces, covering all sides.
Marinate the pork in the refrigerator, covered, for 2 hours or longer.
* Heat the oven to 425 degrees.
* Place the pork on a rack in a roasting pan and cook for 20 minutes. Turn the
pork, baste it with the pan juices, and cook for an additional 20 minutes.
Reduce the heat to 350 degrees and cook until the pork reaches an internal
temperature of 170 degrees, about 20 minutes. Remove from the oven.
* Boil the sauce for a couple of minutes, then brush it over the pork before
6 to 8 servings. Each of 8 servings: 213 calories; 444 mg sodium; 83 mg
cholesterol; 8 grams fat; 8 grams carbohydrates; 25 grams protein; 0.19 gram