Pearl Street Tavern and Chophouse Vanilla Custard
6 egg yolks
3 oz. sugar
1 1/2 pt. heavy cream
2 vanilla beans
2 tbsp brown sugar for caramelizing
1. In a medium saucepan, heat cream until hot to the touch.
2. Split vanilla beans and scrape out the insides, add to the cream, discard the
used bean pod.
3. While cream is heating, blend together yolks and sugar, making a cream like
4. When heavy cream is hot, slowly add to egg mixture, stirring rapidly so as
not to scramble the eggs.
5. After mixing all together, slowly pour the mixture into bake-safe ramekins or
dishes, silling 2/3 full.
6. Bake the brules in a water bath for 10 minutes at 350ºF. until custard is
set. Take out of the water bath and cool for 3 hours until ready to serve.
7. To caramelize the sugar tops, sprinkle the tops with brown sugar and use a
blow torch to crystallize the sugar. A broiler in an oven will also work, but
caution has to be used to not warm the custard.
8. Garnsh with fruit or anything else available.