Curried Shrimp with Coconut Gingered Rice
Coconut Ginger Rice (recipe follows)
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 pound raw medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 cup finely chopped fresh pineapple or 1 can (8 ounces) crushed
2 tablespoons packed brown sugar
1 tablespoon fish sauce
2 teaspoons curry powder
1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
3 green onions, thinly sliced
Chives for garnish
1/4 cup toasted coconut
1/4 cup chopped roasted peanuts, salted or unsalted
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
1/4 cup diced red bell pepper
1. Prepare Coconut Ginger Rice.
2. Meanwhile, heat wok or large skillet over high heat. Add oil and swirl to
coat surface. Add shrimp and garlic; cook and stir 2 to 3 minutes, until all
shrimp turn pink and opaque. Transfer to bowl with slotted spoon.
3. Add pineapple, brown sugar, fish sauce, curry powder and red pepper flakes to
wok; bring to a boil over high heat, stirring constantly. Reduce heat to medium;
cook 2 minutes.
4. Stir in shrimp mixture and green onions; cook 1 minute or until shrimp are
5. Mound Coconut Ginger Rice on serving platter. Pour shrimp and sauce over
rice; garnish, if desired. Serve toasted coconut, peanuts, cilantro and bell
pepper in small bowls to sprinkle on individual servings.
Makes 4 servings
Coconut Ginger Rice
3 cups water
2 cups long-grain white rice
1 cup unsweetened coconut milk
2 tablespoons sugar
2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger
Bring water, rice, coconut milk, sugar and ginger to a boil in medium saucepan
over high heat. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer 25 minutes or until liquid
is absorbed. Fluff rice with fork.
Makes about 6 cups
AUTHOR: Lori A