Creamy Shrimp Nachos
2 cups (8 ounces) grated Queso Blanco or Monterey Jack cheese
1/3 cup mayonnaise
4 ounces cooked shrimp, peeled, deveined and coarsely chopped
1/4 cup minced green onions
1 chipotle chile in adobo sauce, puréed and strained
1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro leaves
1/2 teaspoon grated lime zest
1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
3/4 cup (about 3 ounces) grated Cotija cheese*
2 1/2 dozen large, flat tortilla chips
2 1/2 dozen fresh cilantro leaves
*This cheese can be found in two varieties: medium-hard, which has a crumbly,
feta-like texture, and extra-hard, which is similar to Parmesan. Either type can
be used in this recipe. If Cotija cheese is unavailable, you may substitute
feta, but may wish to omit additional salt.
1. Preheat broiler.
2. In medium bowl, stir together Queso Blanco or Monterey Jack cheese,
mayonnaise, shrimp, onions, chipotle puree, chopped cilantro, lime zest and
3. Season with salt and pepper.
4. Spread about 1 tablespoon mixture onto each tortilla chip and place on a
5. Broil until mixture begins to brown, about 1 minute. Sprinkle each with
generous teaspoon Cotija cheese.
6. Put a cilantro leaf on each nacho and serve immediately.
Yield: 2 1/2 dozen pieces
Heat Scale: Mild
This colorful new twist on a perennial party favorite is courtesy of the
California Milk Advisory Board.