Corned Beef Soufflés Recipe
Razzle Dazzle Recipes - Recipes for St. Patrick's Day
"Your source for Irish recipes online for celebrating St. Patrick's Day"
Corned Beef Soufflés
4 tablespoons unsalted butter
4 tablespoons flour
2 cups cold milk
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
6 egg yolks from large eggs
2/3 cup grated Gruyère cheese
2/3 cup diced, cooked corned beef
5 egg whites from large eggs
1/2 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup crème frâiche or sour cream
1 tablespoon Dijon-style mustard
1 bunch chives, chopped
Cook's note: If making a day ahead or for a large party, remove baked, cooled soufflés from ramekins and store in closed container in refrigerator.
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter 8 ramekins.
2. In 2-quart saucepan over medium-high heat, melt butter. Whisk in flour and continue cooking 2-3 minutes, being careful not to let it brown. While whisking continuously, add milk all at once and whisk until smooth. Season with salt and pepper. Continue to cook until thick. Remove from heat, tip into a bowl and cool until tepid.
3. Whisk egg yolks into soufflé base. Stir in cheese and corned beef.
4. Beat egg whites starting at slow speed until frothy, then switching to high speed until stiff. Mix 1/3 of whites into soufflé base, stirring to lighten base, then gently fold in remaining whites until fully incorporated. Do not overmix.
5. Have hot water handy in teakettle. Fill each ramekin with soufflé mixture. Place in large baking pan with 2-inch sides. Place pan on middle shelf of oven and pour hot water into pan until water level is halfway up sides of ramekins.
6. Bake 20-30 minutes. The soufflés will have risen well above tops of ramekins. Remove from oven. Cool completely in ramekins.
7. To reheat and serve: Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Combine cream, crème frâiche and mustard and pour into bottom of gratin pan or small baking dishes. Place soufflés on top of the mustard crème and bake 8-10 minutes, until warm and bubbly. They will gently repuff. Garnish with chives and serve.
Yield: 8 individual soufflés
Don't forget to visit our other Recipe site at
That's My Home
Graphic from Kim's Whim