Blueberry Tea Scones
½ cup dried blueberries
1 cup boiling water
½ cup soy milk
¼ cup fat-free milk
¼ cup sugar
2 cups unbleached or all-purpose flour
¼ cup English toffee chips
1 tablespoon wheat germ
1½ teaspoons baking powder
6 tablespoons margarine, such as Smart Balance
2 tablespoons ground flaxseed
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Coat 2 large baking sheets
with cooking spray.
2. Place the blueberries in a bowl, and cover with the boiling
water. Set aside.
3. Beat the egg in an 8-ounce measuring cup, and add the soy milk to
the 3/4 cup line. Fill to the 1-cup line with fat-free milk. Set
4. In a large bowl, sift together the flour, sugar, and baking
powder. Add the margarine using a pastry blender or fork until the
mixture resembles coarse meal.
5. Drain the blueberries. Add the blueberries to the flour mixture
along with the toffee chips, flaxseed, and wheat germ. Stir to
distribute evenly. Stir the egg and milk mixture, and add to the
dough. Stir until the dough just clings together; do not overmix.
Drop by 1/4 cupfuls onto the prepared baking sheets.
6. Bake for 12 minutes, or until golden brown. Serve warm.
Makes 12 Scones
Per Scone: 200 calories, 4 g protein, 28 g carbohydrate, 8 g fat, 19
mg cholesterol, 127 mg sodium, 2 g dietary fiber
Diet Exchanges: 0 milk, 0 vegetable, ½ fruit, 1½ carbohydrate, 0
meat, 1½ fat