Strawberry Shortcake Melt-Aways
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
7 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup (1/6 lb.) butter or margarine, in chunks
1 1/2 cups whipping cream
1 quart sliced strawberries (cut 1/4 inch thick)
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. In a bowl, mix 1 1/2 cups flour, 1/4 cup sugar, baking powder,
and salt. Add butter and cut in with a pastry blender or rub in with
your fingers until fine crumbs form. Add 3/4 cup cream and stir with
a fork until dough holds together.
2. On a lightly floured board, knead dough just until smooth, 3 or 4
turns. Coat board with more flour and roll dough into a 4-8 inch
rectangle. With a floured knife or fluted cutter, cut into 6 equal
rectangles. Space rectangles 2 inches apart on a 12-15 inch baking
sheet. Sprinkle evenly with 1 teaspoon sugar.
3. Bake in a 375° F regular or 350° convection oven until shortcakes
are deep golden brown, 20 to 25 minutes. Let cool on sheet at least
4. As shortcakes bake, in a bowl, gently mix strawberries with 2
tablespoons sugar. In another bowl, with a mixer on medium-high
speed, whip remaining 3/4 cup cream, 1 tablespoon sugar, and vanilla
until mixture holds soft mounds; cover and chill.
5. With a serrated knife, split shortcakes in half horizontally. Set
bottoms cut side up on plates. Mound strawberries and whipped cream
on bottoms. Set tops cut side down on fruit and cream.
Makes: 6 Strawberry Shortcake Melt-Aways.