Rhubarb Ginger Upside Down Cake
1/2 cup vegetable shortening
1 cup granulated sugar
1 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground cloves
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1 teaspoon crushed cardamom seed
4 tablespoons ginger, preserved in syrup and diced
1 cup dairy sour cream
6 tablespoons melted butter
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 cups diced fresh rhubarb
Confectioners’ sugar for dusting
• Cream shortening and sugar until very light and well mixed.
• Add eggs one at a time, mixing thoroughly and scraping the bowl well after
• Mix flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, cloves, ground ginger, cardamom seed
and diced ginger and add alternately to the bowl with the sour cream. Blend well
until there are no lumps.
• Brush butter over entire inside of 2-quart tube, sprinkle bottom of pan with
brown sugar and add the rhubarb.
• Pour batter into pan and bake in 325-degree oven for about 45 minutes or until
a skewer inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 5 minutes in pan, then invert
on rack to cool completely. Sprinkle lightly with confectioners’ sugar.
Makes 10 servings.