Chocolate Waffles with Raspberry Puree
20 oz frozen raspberries, thawed -drained; juices reserved
2 c granulated sugar
fresh lemon juice to taste
1 1/4 c unsalted butter
3/4 lb bittersweet chocolate
6 eggs, separated
1/2 c milk
1 c cake flour; sifted
2 ts baking powder
1/4 ts salt
fresh raspberries (opt'l)
1) Puree raspberries and sugar in a food processor or blender until smooth.
2) Strain with juices through a chinois or a fine strainer.
3) Place raspberries, 1 cup sugar and lemon juice in a heavy saucepan and cook
over low heat until sugar dissolves.
4) Set aside. In a separate saucepan, melt the butter and chocolate; cool.
5) In a large bowl, whisk together the egg yolks and sugar.
6) Add the milk and stir into the chocolate mixture.
7) In a separate bowl sift together the flour, baking powder and salt.
8) In bowl, whip egg whites with an electric mixer until soft peaks form (when
beaters are lifted from mixer, peaks will form, then fall; they do not retain
9) Set aside. Pour the liquid ingredients into the dry ingredients, gently
mixing with a rubber spatula. Gently fold in egg whites.
10) Pour into a heated waffle iron and, according to manufacturers'
instructions, cook until golden brown, approximately 3-5 minutes.
11) Serve immediately with raspberry puree and sweetened whipped cream.
12) Top with fresh raspberries if available.
13) Makes six 6-1/2" round waffles.
Recipe by: Penny Halverson