Easter Bread Recipes
from Razzle Dazzle Recipes
Good Friday Bread Recipe
"Your Source for Easter Recipes Online"
For something unusual, try this caraway bread, a Good Friday
tradition in southwest England.
1/2 tablespoon active dry yeast
1 cup warm water (105-115°)
4-4 1/2 cups flour
3 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
2 teaspoons caraway seeds
1. Dissolve yeast in warm water. Set aside for 5 minutes. Combine 2
cups flour, sugar, salt, butter, and caraway seeds in mixing bowl.
2. Add yeast mixture, and gradually add remaining flour to form a
soft dough. Knead on lightly floured surface until smooth - about 10
3. Place in greased bowl, turning to coat top. Cover; let rise in
warm place until double - about 1 hour.
4. Punch down dough. Shape into large round loaf. Place on greased
baking sheet. Brush top of dough with milk.
5. Cover; let rise in warm place until double - about 45 minutes or
6. Bake in a preheated 400° oven 40-50 minutes. Cool on wire rack.
Recipe Source: Festive Bread Book, The by Kathy Cutler