Glazed Peach-Almond Cake
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter or margarine, melted
1 can (29 ounces) sliced peaches in light syrup, drained
3/4 cup peach or apricot preserves, divided
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
1 1/4 teaspoons almond extract, divided
1 package (18.25 ounces) yellow cake mix
1 package (2.25 ounces) sliced almonds
Powdered sugar (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 350�F. Place butter in small microwave-cooker; microwave on
HIGH 1 minute or until melted. Brush a deep dish baker with 1 tablespoon of the
melted butter. Cut an 8-inch circle of parchment paper; place in bottom of
2. Drain peach slices. In a bowl, combine peaches, 1/4 cup of the preserves and
flour; toss to coat. Spoon peach mixture into center of baker; spread to within
1/2 inch of edge. Place baker in microwave. Microwave on HIGH 4 minutes or until
peach mixture is hot.
3. In a bowl, whisk cream cheese and remaining melted butter until smooth. Add
eggs and 1 teaspoon of the almond extract; whisk until smooth. Add cake mix; mix
until smooth. (Batter will be thick.) Using a large scoop, scoop batter evenly
over peach mixture starting at outside edges of baker, leaving center open.
4. Bake 40-45 minutes or until cake tester inserted in center comes out clean.
Remove to cooling rack. Cool 10 minutes. Loosen edges of cake from baker.
Carefully invert cake onto a round platter. Carefully peel parchment paper from
surface of peaches.
5. Place remaining preserves and almond extract in same microwave-cooker;
microwave on HIGH 30 seconds or until melted. Brush sides and top edge of cake
with preserves. Press almonds against sides and around edge of peach topping.
Sprinkle with powdered sugar if desired.
Yield: 16 servings or 24 sample servings
Nutrients per serving: Calories 340, Total Fat 18 g, Saturated Fat 8 g,
Cholesterol 70 mg, Carbohydrate 42 g, Protein 5 g, Sodium 340 mg, Fiber 1 g